Horn Cover Relocation & New Skull Theme



I mentioned in "My Trip To Harley's 105th Anniversary" part one, I almost lost my custom horn cover. The bracket broke from the vibration caused by the engine. The cover and horn was hanging by the two wires connected to the horn and that saved it from falling off.

When I got home I looked at the parts I had and came to the conclusion that the cover could not be saved. The mounting hole was gone and fabricating a new bracket and welding it to the cover was not an option because I don't have the equipment. Plus, after welding the new bracket back on the cover it would need to be powder coated. I think it would be a waste of money. I already paid $117.00 for the cover and a new horn. I could not even save the horn because the screw that adjusts the sound got broken. The reason I changed the horn cover in the first place? The OEM, cow bell horn cover was hitting my knee when I rode the bike and at idle the cover would shake so bad it looked like it would fly off the engine.

I decided I would relocate the horn to the front of the bike. I saw some Harley models like the new "Rocker", that has the horn mounted in front. I went over to my local Harley store and checked out what it would take for me to mount the horn to the front of my scoot. I had the counter guy Jim, look up the cost of all the parts needed. I was not happy about the total cost he gave me. I had him order only the bracket that holds the horn to the frame of the bike. Aftermarket horns give you a metal strip with holes as a bracket. So I ordered the horn. It only cost me about one third the price of the Harley horn.

I now had to figure out what I would put on the bracket were the old horn was mounted. The bracket is also the motor mount. I looked at the broken horn cover and said to myself, I would like to save the Harley-Davidson medallion. This medallion would look cool in-between the two jugs. I even thought, a Wille G. Skull in the middle of the medallion would even look better.

Boy, I'm lucky I live close to the Harley store. I found a skull that fit right in the middle of the medallion. I then decided, why not go the whole, Wille G. Skull Theme, on the scoot. I purchased the derby cover, timer cover, top handle bar clamp, skull license plate bolts and a timer cover for an XL. I'm going to attached it to the chrome cover on the new horn.

In order to use the horn on the front of the frame I had to splice longer wires to the horn wires in the wiring harness. Then run the wires under the tank and out the front where the horn would be mounted. It took about forty-five minutes to reroute the wires. I don't use butt connectors, I solder my splices and use shrink tubing so no moisture can corrode the splice.

After the horn, I put all the skull replacement parts on. The scoot looks like a different bike now.

I had the "Live To Ride, Ride To Live" Derby Cover and Handle Bar clamp on the bike. There for sale at my eBay store. They are priced to sell.

My next Post, I will have comments and photos of my last two Harley dealer functions I attended.

Slide show below shows how changing a few parts can really change the look of your scoot.




Meaning Of The Day: Wiring harness - The main collection of wires that are usually bundled up in some protective tubing.

Now You Know, Biker Joe

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Its great to hear that you guys are rocking as you are providing all the info generally needed for a surfer. Click here to know more about harley skull.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I really like your post and also your way to describe your experiance with Harley-Davidson motorcycles. In this post, You gave such a wonderful information which is really beneficial for all bike riders.
If you want more information regarding this, so please click here