The Weather Has Finley Taken it's Toll




I stated in my last post that I was taken off the weekend and I would be back on Monday. Well this years weather has taken it's toll.

I know this Blog is suppose to be about my H-D Ramblings. Not much to write about when the weather won't cooperate. To follow is my account of what happened to me Sunday because of another crappy weather day added to the many we had already this winter.

We have a weekly garbage pickup here in my town. Our pickup day is Mondays. On Sunday night I usually take the garbage out to the curb so it can be picked up the next morning. Well Sunday we had one of those weather days that the temperature was in the high 40's. We were suppose to get another snow storm but the temp stayed high enough to keep the precipitation in the form of water, rain. About 5:00 pm the rain turned to snow showers and the temp. dropped down below freezing. I looked out the window and I saw that the water on the side walks and street turned to ice. When I saw this I taught to myself, boy I'm sure glad it's Sunday I don't have to drive in this stuff.

After the 10:00 PM news is when I take the garbage out, so I went out to the garage (This is were I keep the trash cans, recycle bins and not to forget to mention my beautiful Dyna) and got the trash ready. I then opened the garage door, I saw that the drive going down to the street had a sheet of ice on it. So I said to myself "I better be careful walking down to the street". This winter there has been many days when rain turned to ice and then snow. So I'm very careful so not to fall down and injure myself or worse break some bones.

So now with this in mind I picked up the trash bag and proceeded to walk slowly down the drive. I got down to the sidewalk and I stopped to see how slippery it was. I picked up my foot and was going to touch the ice with my foot and slide it back and forth before going the rest of the way to the street. No sooner I put my foot down I slipped out from under myself and fell to the ground, flat on my back. I hit the back of my head and it completely knocked the wind out of me. I couldn't get my breath back. I rolled over on my side so I could try to suck in some air. This helped and after I started to breath again I got myself up off the ground and walked back up to the garage closed the door and went back into the house. My wife was still watching TV and had no clue what happened to me. I told her I slipped and fell down and need to check to see if I broke any bones.

Now that a few minutes gone by my body was starting to tell me what has happened to it. The back of my head was starting to hurt, I had some pain in my butt. The palms of my hands had the indentions of the side walk in them and started to sting. The one part that really hurts now is my chest, the left side rib area. As time was going by I couldn't take deep breaths, bend or twist without much pain.

This is not the first time I took a fall on ice. Ice skating, hockey, etc. and every time I did fall I would injure this same area of my ribs. I think it is because I cracked a rib when I was a kid. I fell down when riding my bicycle and the handle bar went into the ribs and cracked one of them.

So now after checking and making sure I did not fracture any bones I took some Excedrin and went to bed. I had to sleep sitting up because I tried to lay down but I couldn't sit up or roll over on my stomach with out pain.

I stayed in bed all day Monday. Today I woke up and I still have some aches and pains. My ribs have the most pain but this will not keep me off the Blog.

How many people do you think this happens too this time of year? I don't know but I heard a lot. I was lucky. I did not fall on my side and break my hip. With the force of this fall I could have.

I have a TIP for everyone reading this today. No matter how careful you are you can still have a falling down type accident. If you have a loved one working outside around the house in this kind of weather, look out the window every once in a while and check to see if they are OK.


Easy Rider Revisited



The Meaning Of The Day:
Apex - The vertex of tightest (middle or centre) point of a curve.

No comments: