Harley-Davidson Heated Jacket Liner

Sorry I had to skip yesterday. I think you will forgive me, I got to ride my scoot yesterday. The roads were dry and all the salt was washed away from the rain we had.

I'm really excited today. I'm going to give my first review on a Harley-Davidson product.

I always thought of myself as a fair weather rider. In the day I would only ride when the temperature was at least 65°, and no rain in the forecast. Today I still won't ride if it's going to rain. I have a story to tell about my riding in the rain in a future Post.

With cost of these Harley's today we have to ride as much as we can during the so called "riding season". If you live in the snow belt states/country's, you know what I mean. I will ride with the temperature down into mid thirties, as long as there is no snow/salt on the streets. As we know that any temp below 60° and moving faster then 40 mph. The Wind Chill factor is murder.

When I want to ride on days when the temps are lower then 50° I need to layer my clothing.
I'm not going into what should be worn or not worn when riding a motorcycle in the winter in this Post. I may do that in a future Post. Just for reference I'm going to tell what I wear.

I first put on a heavy pair of jeans. I have a pair of very thin thermal long johns but they still are bulky under the jeans and I have a hard time bending my legs. I then put on a heavy pair of socks. Next I put a thin breathable thermal shirt on. This shirt is suppose to hold the heat in and wick the bodies moisture. Now I put on another long sleeve thermal shirt. I also wear these kind of shirts in the summer. Next a long sleeve sweat shirt. Now I'm ready for the jacket. Oh I forgot, I put a pair of high top boots with steel toes on.

I've tried winter leather riding jackets with the lining in them, but they seem to get cold from the wind and the cold travels right through the layered shirts. I found out that the winter wind breaker type jackets shell has a resin coating and that seems to keep the wind out. I also found out that wind comes in from the smallest break in the jacket. Zippers, seams, etc. The neck area is another place wind gets in. No matter how I zip up, button up, wind still gets down and all the layering in the world wont keep that wind out.

Note: I don't wear a helmet in the summer it's just to hot. I do wear one in winter to keep my head warm. The helmet is a DOT half helmet. I guess a full face would be better but it feels like I'm too closed in.

I tried a number of things to keep that wind from coming down the neck. I finely got the right mix of neck and face coverings that works. I first put a Dickie around my neck, then I put a skull cap on with a pair of tinted goggles. I put a bandanna around my lower face covering my nose and mouth. I push the top of the bandanna right up to the bottom edge of the goggles and the bottom I push down into the neck of the jacket. Now I put the helmet on.

Now with that all said, looking like the Michelin Man I bring out the bike start it up and go for a ride. You ask, are you warm? Kind of. Are you comfortable? I can tell you no.



One day I was surfing the net and I came upon an add for heated riding gear. I read the information and it really sparked my interest. I saw the same heated clothing at the Harley store I frequent. They have the whole wardrobe, pants, vest, gloves and the full sleeve jacket liner. They are all a little pricey. So I thought that this is something I could ask for at Christmas. The whole family could pitch in. I took a chance and asked for the jacket liner. Come Christmas day under the tree a Harley shopping bag sat and in it a Harley heated jacket liner and the adjustable thermostat was in it. The thermostat regulates the power coming from the bikes battery that heats the jacket.

Now finally the review.

Harley-Davidson's heated clothing is manufacture by a company called Gerbing. The company has been in business since 1976. In 1999 Gerbing has been the sole supplier of their heated clothing. Click on the orange Gerbing for more information.

The jacket comes with all the cables needed to plug into the bikes electrical system. One cable has an on/off switch. I read that it works fine but it gets a little hot and the switch has to be turned on and off to regulate the heat. Knowing this I asked for the adjustable Thermostat.


I installed the wire harness and a separate plug I got off the Internet to the fuse box cover. I have a battery charger that I use to keep the battery charged when I don't use the bike. Now I can use the same plug for the charger and the jacket.

There are wires spread around the inside front, back and sleeves
of the jacket. This is so the jacket is heated uniformly. A wire runs down both the sleeves with plugs on each end. These plugs connect
to the optional heated gloves. On the left side of the jacket down the inside there are three wires with plugs.
One is for the power connection. One is for optional heated pants and one is for the gloves.

The jacket can't be worn over bare skin so one need to wear a long sleeve shirt under it. You will need to wear something around the neck because the jacket when zipped, the collar goes up to the chin.

I put on all my usual clothing for cold weather riding except for my upper body I just put on my long sleeve thermal shirt. The instructions says to wear only one layer of clothes preferably cotton or silk turtle neck. I put on the jacket liner then the riding jacket and the rest of my gear.

Note: The jacket can not be worn with out a wind proof jacket over it.

I go out to the garage uncover the bike and roll it outside onto the drive. The temp is around 38°. I turn the key push the start button and vroom it starts right up. It's been under the cover for a month. I let it warm up then I get on the bike and plug the cord from the jacket into the bike. I turn the thermostat on, I pull in the clutch and kick it into first roll out into the street and take off. By the time I get to the end of the block I can feel the warmth. I ride out to the main road, the jacket is keeping me toasty warm. I get on the road I get up to 55 mph and I drive for about 6 miles. I feel no cold at all, it feels like summer. I rode for about an hour, averaging 50/55 mph and I never felt a bit cold. Now my hands that's another story. I will need to buy the heated gloves. I was wearing winter gauntlet gloves and my fingers where starting to freeze at the finger tips. That happens all the time even when I ride at 50°.

I love this jacket I wish I had it four years ago.

Pluses: Keeps you warm. No more Michelin Man look and feel. Can move arms and head like it's summer.

Minus: Must remember to disconnect from bike before getting off.

Tip off the day: If you like or want to ride when it's cold outside go out and buy this jacket linner. It will be the best bang for the buck next to chrome.


By for now, Biker Joe
















7 comments:

Anthony | Heated Gloves said...

Nice article and cool pics, those are the new Harley-Davidson Jacket Liner you talking about?? That's pretty amazing, cant wait to get my own one..Thanks for sharing this blog..

Biker Joe said...

Anthony, thanks for visiting.

I love my heated gear. The weather changed for the worst early this Fall/Winter and stopped riding after Thanks Giving. Road salt = no ridding the scoot.

Never had the chance to use the heated gear. Will be using it on those cold Early Spring days in 2010.

I will be Posting again soon so come by often.

Max Piedra said...

It’s definitely a good thing that you were able to find a heated Harley Davidson jacket at the store you frequent! It’s even better that you got it for a Christmas present, haha! It can be very hard to find the right amount of clothes to wear for riding in the winter, so it’s great that HD came up with heated riding gear. Is it bad that I sort of chuckled at the “Minuses” part? I can just imagine you not quite making it off of the bike because your jacket is plugged into the bike and you’d forgotten to take it out! Hehe!

Hannah Parkin said...

Harley Davidson making heated riding gear is a smart way to extend the brand. After all, appropriate riding gear must be worn when riding motorcycles, so why not capitalize on that fact and make riding gear for the people who want to enjoy their HD bikes in all seasons?

Claudio Mccarty said...

Well, this is indeed an ingenious product made for a vehicle that needs to deal with various weather conditions. And you’re right, Hannah. It would truly be a good product to use, especially in countries with extremely cold weather conditions. Anyway, have a safe ride always, Biker Joe! :)

Unknown said...

This Harley Davidson Product which you highlighted above is really nice. You describe it very nicely and in a very simple way. I saw this harley davidson clothing first in the movie Harley Davidson and Marlboro Man.

Biker Joe said...

Check out your nearest Harley Dealer.